The merry year is born like the bright berry from the naked thorn.
~ Hartley Coleridge
Good morning, and best wishes for a merry Monday.
- Pancakes with lime zest and blueberries
Recipe adapted and modified from Smitten Kitchen – Everyday Pancakes
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 and 1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp melted butter, cooled
zest of 1 lime
- To serve:
lime or lemon wedges, sugar, maple syrup, banana slices or toppings of your choice
Preheat oven to 100 degrees C.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and lime zest. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks into milk, then stir in the melted butter. Gently stir this mixture into the dry ingredients, mixing only enough to moisten flour – don’t worry about a few lumps.
- In a small bowl, whip the egg whites till stiff. Fold the egg white into the batter. Golden rule: do not overmix.
- Heat a large skillet over med-low heat. Drizzle olive oil in to cover the base of the skillet. When the oil shimmers, ladle batter on to the skillet, making pancakes of any size. Drop a handful of frozen blueberries onto the pancakes as they are cooking. Adjust the heat of your stove as necessary; usually the first batch will require higher heat than subsequent batches.
- When bubbles appear on the surface and the bottom browns (approximately 2-3 minutes), flip pancake and cook until the second side is lightly browned.
- Serve immediately with toppings of your choice, or hold on an ovenproof plate in the heated oven for up to 30 minutes.
- Yields 4 servings.
You must be logged in to post a comment.